Not the one in the hat

Guess which one is Mum.

This might be my favourite photo of my mother. She looks very "contemporary" although this photo must be from the early 1960s. Of course it was the early 1960s in the far south of New Zealand so we should subtract at least a decade in terms of fashion. Looking at family photos from this period you get the strong feeling that living in Otago in the 1960s was not quite the same as living in America in the 1960s.
It was at this time that my mother was building her record collection with my father. What a strange, eclectic collection it is. It both proves and disproves the theory that if you wait long enough everything comes back into fashion.

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good so far. Will there be a fight scene soon? Maybe a machine gun attack? When does Chuck Norris come into the story?

Anonymous said...

Fool.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I prefer 'dick', but I guess 'fool' will do.
...by the way, is Chuck in the next post and will he karate someone?

Richard (of RBB) said...

The 'not the one in the hat' joke was done many years ago by someone doing animal commentaries on TV. I feel like I need to know more of this story now. Not tomorrow, now. Is there more or should I take this post to be like a word finf, only with randon gaps and punctuation. Hang on a minute... "it was the early 1960's"... I've just found the word 'ear'!

JY said...

Shouldn't you be working? Actually I'm stalling, turning the house upside down trying to find the bloody notes I made when I talked to my mother about these records. Word finf? Randon? Have a drink, mate, it settles the twitching typing fingers.

Anonymous said...

Photo taken at a place called The Neck between Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea. A chance meeting between Aunty Helen and Grandad, and Marshall and myself. No idea when. Both parties on holiday.