Number Seven: Dreams

Here's what has been bothering me over the last few days, Richard:









  1. I read a book called My Name Was Judas

  2. I told my mother about this blog
  3. I reread Miss Brill

  4. Christmas came and went

  5. I started a thinking book*

  6. I listened to the speeches of Robert Kennedy

  7. I read a book called Mister Pip

*A thinking book is a book where you write down what you've been thinking (duh)

Let's start with number seven first.

Something a character wrote in Mister Pip made me write this in my thinking book:

"A dream may be broken in two. Sometime later you realise that this is the opportunity for two dreams. You pick them up for awhile until they also fall and break. Soon you have so many broken bits that some must be discarded because there are too many to hold on to. Once your dreams have come down to the specificity of small, worn-smooth pebbles you find that you can actually make them come true. Sometimes you might pine for the original grand dream of your youth but this was silly and naive and untested against anything. These dreams that you have now are hard won. The dream of your youth was something like: "I will love like no other, I will be free, I will be like a comet in the night sky." The dream of your middle-age is: "I will give myself to my child so that she will know love, and I will learn through this how much I owe my own parents who gave me love."




No comments: