Life's Companion


"Be my life's companion and you'll never grow old

You'll never grow old, no, you'll never grow old

Love and youth and happiness are yours to have and hold

Be my life's companion and you'll never grow old


I know a man who's lonely and he's old at thirty-three

No one wants to be old at thirty-three

Your disposition sours like a lemon on a tree

Don't let it happen to you and don't let it happen to me."
Be my life's companion (from Funny Girl)


I heard someone say that Louis Armstrong could sing anything and make you feel that everything would be ok. I'm a bit older than thirty-three now and I have a disposition like a lemon on a tree but side two of Hello Dolly really cheers me up.

Sometime this year I was beginning to find out about my father, and my mother was over for dinner. I said: "So, was my father like one of those 70's dads that never changed a nappy and wanted children to be seen and not heard?" and my mother, without missing a beat, said "oh no, he LOVED being a dad."
I had to go and hide in the bathroom and have a little cry after that. How I wished I had known him. How honoured I am to know my daughter.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, you may be a dad but I've got a link!
Actually, I now have two links... Stan put one on too(ages ago)!
Robert has something about "visit my humourous brother" but who knows how long that will stay?


I've been put of Louis Armstrong's singing because I've heard a few too many local impersonators over the years... maybe I need to get back to the source. Some consider Louis to be one of the five most important jazz musicians, along with Coltrane, Davis, Ellington and I can't remember who the last one was... either Parker, Diz or Basie, I think. Notice that they are all black dudes. Louis was certainly very important!

Richard (of RBB) said...

By the way, good shot of you and your daughter.
Are you still wearing the same pants from the previous photo (the kitchen shot)?

JY said...

Yes.

Actually no, but yes is funnier.

Louis got a lot of crap from people saying he was an Uncle Tom. Isn't a lot of life doing things you don't really want to do so that you can get by. I sympathise with Mr. Armstrong. He was born in 1900. It's all very well Black Panthers in the 1960s telling him off but he was born in 1900. Try standing up for your rights in 1920 if you were a black man.