The 1970s



Your parents existed before you were born. This is something surprising I found out when I was in my twenties and slightly less self-obsessed (slightly).



When you're a kid you wonder why these other adults who aren't family members sometimes show up for dinner and you're sent to bed a little earlier than usual.




When I think about all the garbage I talk about with my friends I wonder what my parents talked about with their friends in the 70's. Has the nature of late night conversation changed? I suppose not.

My mother and father lived next to a Greek family in Dunedin. This explains the Without Words album. Apparently Xarhakos got in trouble for saying something and was censored so he released this... without words. This album has been floating around in the background of my life for thirty years and I'd never even once thought to wonder why.

What happened in the 1970s? Suddenly New Zealand relaxed a bit. The formality of the 1960s photographs has slipped away. Everyone is looking more comfortable and relaxed. I blame it on polyester and wine.

1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, the polar neck! That was the
70s!I was there and remember how a piece of clothing that was designed for another climate, in a land far away, gave one such a sweaty neck! The 70s was also about houses with interior design that only needed two colours... brown and orange. In the 70s I had a pair of platform boots to go with my bell bottom trousers, but it was the polar neck that defined me. People often rib me about not being cool; well, I'll tell you this... at least my neck is cool now.