Family - Walmsleys


It still exists. The paper company Frank worked for in England in the 1930s. Established in 1866. Bury in Lancashire is a part of Greater Manchester.
Frank arrived in England in the early to mid 1930s. He lived and worked in the north of England. The north of England was the worst hit area of England during the Great Depression which saw unemployment rates soar above 25%. There were millions of unemployed, whole families destitute, soup kitchens, all the usual benefits of a capitalist system "transitioning downward".
Everyone who would know why Frank travelled across the world to this situation is dead. Maybe he was just like a lot of young men: heads full of dreams and hopelessly naive. His dream might have been about planes.

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Are you going to name something after Anselm?

JY said...

You've never taken me seriously. I think I'll name Fflur after Anselm.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Who's Fflur?

JY said...

The person you were shamelessly gossiping about when I came around for dinner.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Gossiping? Me?
I think you're getting me mixed up with Anselm.

Anonymous said...

I think the reason Frank went to England probably had something to do with the fact that his Father H.L. Dolamore (My grandfather)was general manager of NZPaper Mills for 27 years (1919-1946) - later Chairman of the board 1954-1962.