Family


This is a story about Frank. He was my grandfather's brother (my grandfather who we met singing opera earlier in this blog). My grandfather had two brothers and a sister. This is photo of Frank in his Otago Boys blazer. I think he looks quite handsome and certain. He also looks much older than seventeen or eighteen which is how old he must be in this picture.
My school photos at this age look distinctly different. I am simply occupying space in them. Although I was a vain teenager (like all teenagers) I do not look well groomed, or confident or capable. Frank looks all of these things in this photo.
Of course a photo is an illusion and we try to compose ourselves for them. Who knows what doubts, or troubles or fears were either side of the shutter clicking on this moment seventy years ago.

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm glad to hear that photos are illusions. Maybe I don't need to climb Anselm's Hill any more!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Where's the next chapter? It normally gets posted in the morning.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Please update this site now!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, what's the hold up?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Having to wait for your post is very inconvenient this morning.

JY said...

I'm working on it. Geez.