Jack



Marshall approached a member of AA to enquire how we could help our father overcome his drinking problem. Mr. Fraser, father of my friend Elsie, who was a ‘dry’ alcoholic went to talk with dad. Dad agreed to try out the plan of recovery.

This took a tremendous amount of willpower. My sister Rae rang me often to report progress. Dad was making a stupendous effort but the toll was devastating. He would arrive home from work, having bypassed the hotel, absolutely pouring with perspiration and trembling. This went on for some considerable time. The taunts and persuasive remarks from his workmates finally broke his resolve. He reverted to his old habits much to our disappointment.

When Bun wanted to ask my father for my hand in marriage I was rather nervous. Introductions went well. Dad was affable and pleasant. Bun, in his soft voice, told Dad he wished to marry me and would Dad give his permission. Dad’s response was, “If Isobel is happy, then it’s alright with me”.





Stories for my Grandchildren, Isobel Spence

No comments: