I learn about Groupthink

  1. Irving Janis ... wondered why intelligent groups of people sometimes made decisions that led to disastrous results.
  2. Hey, I know, let's invade Russia (JY).
  3. Janis was puzzled by the inability of very intelligent people to make sound decisions. His answer was a condition he termed Groupthink.
  4. Always be wary of groups of people who think they are highly intelligent (JY)
  5. Members' strivings for unanimity override[s] their motivation to realistically appraise alternative courses of action
  6. I think this is suggesting you should never be afraid to say "you're a dickhead" to your boss or anyone who sounds like an idiot (JY)
  7. Groupthink refers to a deterioration of mental efficiency, reality testing, and moral judgment that results from in-group pressures.
  8. My major in-group pressure is finding meetings f**king boring and wanting to have a drink instead.


9 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Is Irving Janis married to Janis Irving? What a coincidence that would be!!!
"Let's invade Russia!"? Do you think the Nazi hierachy was a good example of a group making democratic decisions? Well, I suppose you're the Social Studies teacher!
"Always be wary of groups of people who think they're highly intelligent."
Also watch out for trumpet players who feel superior to the rest of the group...wankers, but that's another story!
"My major in-group pressure is finding meetings f**king boring and wanting to have a drink instead."
I'll bring some chardonnay to the teacher only day tomorrow and you can have a glass while the monkey dances.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hey Richard.
You are beginning to sound like me.

JY said...

What's democracy got to do with it? Do deomcratic leaders surrounded by yes-men or (wo)men who collaborate in their leaders' stupidity really have anything over a dictator when it comes to make dumb decisions?

Go on then, what did the trumpet player do?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Depends how dumb you want, I suppose. Is invading Poland worse than, say, invading Afghanistan? Well, they were done for different reasons but Hitler achieved a better gain. Hey, whose side am I on? Well, at least I won't be the monkey dancing tomorrow while you drink your chardonnay!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Dammit! I hate it when John-Paul is right!

THE WINE GUY said...

I hope you are drinking Monkey Bay
It's a great drop and I'm not only saying that because I invented it.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Go on then, what did the trumpet player do?"
I played in Palmerston North yesterday with my youngest brother and a friend and his son. The gig took a while to warm up, but we sounded pretty good on the last set. The trumpet player (the youngest player by far) brought a real attitude to the gig. I think he thought that the gig was beneath him. He shared drumming duties with his father; dad also soloing on flute and son on trumpet. Son did not play well on drums, but is an outstanding trumpet player. Normally when there is someone being an a**ehole on a gig I finish up saying my piece, so I was pleased that I largely managed to avoid telling the trumpet player where to go and got on with my job! My brother played guitar and did a good job, considering that guitar is about his fourth best instrument. My hands were playing up (a bit tired... and sore), so I took a lot of arco solos. I got the feeling that the purpose of the gig was to feature dad and son and that they didn't really appreciate the bass solos. Tough titties!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hi Wine Guy.

Anonymous said...

Man, found the subtitles really helpful, thanks.

--- Zeng Master