Purple Rain: Darling Nikki


Computer Blue begins with Wendy and Lisa: “Is the water warm enough?” So we assume some kind of bath-sex thing is about to take place, hopefully lesbian in nature, but they could be talking about making a cup of tea (although the tone of the final “Yes Lisa” probably rules that out). “Where is my love life?” Prince sings. Given the intro I would suggest he looks in his bathroom.


Darling Nikki. I was fascinated by the story in this song when I was too young to have any idea what Prince was on about. “Call me up whenever you wanna grind” – sounds lovely, probably it’s not coffee she wants to grind. What kind of “hotels” does Prince stay in anyway? I’ve stayed in plenty and never once seen anyone masturbating with a magazine in the lobby.


This is the song that shocked Tipper Gore when she heard her daughter playing it. Jeez, man, I never let my mother hear this track – what the hell was Tipper’s daughter thinking? Thanks to Tipper we have stupid explicit lyric stickers on CDs now – I bet Tipper’s daughter was really popular at school after that one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand this post.
Richard (of RBB)

JY said...

I don't understand heaps of things.

Anonymous said...

You always say that. I don't understand why.
Richard (of RBB)