Ape


I've been reading children's picture books. This is a good one. It's about a girl that loves gorillas and wants to go to the zoo but Dad is always too busy to take her. He gives her a toy gorilla instead. It is the toy gorilla that transforms; that takes her through the trees at night to the zoo; that acts like a Dad.
There are a lot of children's books that are a little bit sad. This must be because they're written by adults. There are also a lot of children's books with no Dads in them; or Dads at work; or indifferent, distant Dads. This is a little bit sad too.
Men are uncomfortable with love. Not all men, but most. Children don't really want to read you for love, they want a simple return of the open displays of affection that they give to you. I am surprised that I am good at being a Dad (so far). I love our exchange of kisses before bed, and our holding hands for a walk. I'd rather not trade these things for the other equally special future moments we will have, but I suppose I have no choice.
I must always try to be the gorilla swinging through the trees at night.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Sounds like you're on course. One bit of advice:
Inherited traits will be the hardest to fix - so start planning for these now. Often they reach their peak in young adulthood and that can be a bit late if you're unprepared. I learnt this lesson the hard way.
Keep up the good work!

Cathy said...

"I must always try to be the gorilla swinging through the trees at night."

So that's what the snoring is about, huh?