Why Aguirre went bad

I'm pretty sure Aguirre went bad because when they were halfway down the Amazon looking for El Dorado some smart bastard said: "You know, it's not about the destination... it's about the journey."

While I was being professionally developed the other day I turned over the leaflet someone had given me about leadership and it said something about journeys versus destinations and I thought: for once I'd just like someone to tell me what the f**king end point is. All three presenters I watched did the same thing; they all said "I hope you weren't expecting answers", and "you have all the answers". In that case can I go and do something else?


There is a flaw in the you-have-all-the-answers presentation. You don't learn anything. You don't add to your knowledge. This kind of presentation works for awhile, but in the end you need some fresh ideas and information.
So, perhaps we can imagine the following scene:
A watery spot on the banks of the Amazon, 1560
Leader of expedition: You know, it's just occured to me, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.
Aguirre: Pardon me?
Leader: It's not about the destination.
Aguirre: Actually I'm pretty sure it is. If you're looking for El Dorado then I'm pretty f**king sure it is about the destination.
Leader: Let's not play the blame game.
Aguirre: (drawing sword) Let's.
Leader: I don't have the answers. You have the answers.
Aguirre: Damn right (sticks sword through presenter, sorry, leader).

1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I was very sorry to have missed Friday's presentations through unexpected sickness. I feel, after reading your post, like I was there.