Even a stopped clock

Time.


I steal all my worst ideas from Richard.

Here is my class room at the end of the year. I don't wish to say anything fatuous about the year. There were times I wanted to hang myself from the rafters. There were times my students would have tied the noose and held the ladder.













Left is my wall of 2007. Right at the tippy top is a hat worn by the fine people who work at Krispy Kreme donuts in Australia. A girl in my form class brought me that back from her trip to Oz. There is an origami swan, pieces of art and a few touching portraits of myself drawn by students.













You don't get into teaching because you're vain.










When I was at Teachers' College there were two people in my study group that (or who, depending on your command of English) work at the school. I wanted to say something to one of them today:

Are you ok? I hope you're ok. You told me a story once about a ghost sort of coming and telling you everything would work out. I don't know if it will, but we survived another year. Have a good, long, stressless holiday.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

A very nice post, jy.
Just one little thing that bugs me though. When I was at school I was taught that 'who' was for people; 'that' was for animals and things. I hate this new way where everything gets a 'that'.
I went to a film about Elizabeth the First on the weekend and the actor playing Sir Walter talked about "people that" and he even pronounced another word in an American accent. Was this to show that he had actually sailed to 'the Americas'? You have a wonderful grasp of the English language; far better than mine. I supose that this is why I am a little disappointed to see you write,
"...two people in my study group that work..."

ps. The picture is very accurate, except that you do have feet.

Richard (of RBB) said...

...oh, and sorry about stealing your 'stopped watch' thing. I'd had a few chardonnays and actually couldn't remember where I'd heard it.

JY said...

But I stole it from somewhere too.

This is the second time you've commented on the that vs. who thing. Ok, ok, I'll try to do better.