Grandad Sings Italian Opera - Volume One


When I was a kid my mother gave away a pile of 78s. She gave them to a kid that had a wind up gramophone and collected 78s to play on it. I didn't know what 78s were at the time, or why she had them or what they meant.

They were her father's. Her father liked opera and bought 78s of people like Jussi Bjoerling, Caruso or even crooners such as Lanza. He was a decent tenor himself and liked to sing at church or embarass my Gran by serenading her while she scrubbed potatoes at the kitchen sink or shelled peas.
My grandfather was a man of dark clouds and bursts of light. I think in the days of light he must have been a man of great charm.

He died when I was five. Same year as my Dad.
My fondest memory of my Grandfather is a bike ride on the Tairei Plain. He sat me on the handlebars of his heavy, black bicycle, between his arms, and pedalled out into the long, deserted back roads behind Mosgiel. Here are the fields, and ditches overrun by weeds, the high holly hedges and hills off in the distance lying like a woman on her side.
Who knows what parts of him are parts of me, but I suppose at least I can say that he's the reason I love opera. He passed on his enthusiasm to my mother and she passed that on to me.

11 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I loved Mario Lanza as a kid!
How did your dad die?

JY said...

Cancer.

I'm going to wait awhile before commenting on your latest blog entry (photos, ay?) - don't want to scare off any of your bass groupies who might actually know what you're talking about (frog? how long do you think I spent looking in the background for a frog before I realised it was some bass term?)

Richard (of RBB) said...

The frog is the little black bit that goes between the stick and the hair... I did explain this in an earlier post, but you obviously weren't listening, or watching, or whatever.
Oh, and...
As far as I know, there are no little green amphibians in the background of the photo.

Richard (of RBB) said...

This is my favourite blog site.
It's better than all those ones in Spanish. It's also better than those ones where ladies show you their breasts, well, at least as good.

JY said...

Better than Spanish, about the same as breasts. I'm choking back tears of gratitude...

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, my friend, never underestimate breasts... I gave you a big compliment.

JY said...

The little toe?

I think Robert's new site should be called "metaphors about my family".

Cathy said...

I think you guys have way too much time...

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hi Cathy, Big Toe here.
I think Robert's new site should be called,
"Who's holding this jandal on?"

Cathy said...

Hi Big Toe. (Are toes really necessary anyway? Or jandals for that matter?) Wow - just had an earthquake while I was typing that!! Freaky!

Richard (of RBB) said...

I felt that earthquake too. The whole house creaked!
Could suggest a new blog site name to Rob...
"Robert's family shake up"?

Well, I suspect the name efore last was inspired by the act of cutting his toe nails.