Flamenco Magic


"On the evening of the Pilgramage, the Gypsies gather together in their camp. On the second side of the record you will hear Manitas and his family. His brother plays the guitar with him. His sons, his cousin and his nephew sing, and during this Provencal night they are all present for you, singing, dancing, playing for your pleasure which, today, thanks to this record, is also yours."
This album. This is the jewel in the crown of the collection for me. Manitas' playing is so rough, raw and percussive. Side Two, the live side, is fantastic. Somehow I have never been bothered by not understanding what people are saying when they sing (sorry to the guys who wrote Carmen Jones), it has always been about conveying emotion for me. The wonderful thing about listening to these guys sing is that they are like the brass section in a jazz band, doing their long bluesy runs, and filling in each others gaps, while underneath are the clapping off-beat hands, and pulsing heavy guitar rhthyms. Strong stuff when I was a kid.
About as far away from this as you can get is the "New Flamenco" of Ottmar Liebert. I have two of this man's CDs and have been to one of his concerts. All because my friends knew that I loved flamenco and were being kind. I think enough time has passed for me to say (1) thank you for your generousity, and (2) German flamenco! Oh dear. It sounds like it is being performed by robots. The back of Liebert's CD says (please read it with a fake German accent): "we are dedicated to a process of continuous refinement both artistically and commercially. As in music, so in life." Dreadful. Reminds me of another slogan: "Work Makes One Free." Yeah, right.
Ottmar Liebert appeals to one thing in man, and Manitas de Plata appeals to another. I have always been on the side of Manitas.

17 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I like the 'brass section in a jazz band' bit. I do hope, though, that you're not hearing the natural minor scale as a blues scale.
How did poor Herr Liebert get into the discussion?
Have you got a thing about Germans?
Gosh 'the psychologist' would have a field day with that!
Are you running a creche again on Monday or are you coming to school?

Anonymous said...

Actually I do have a thing about Germans. Freud and Jung? What a pack of weirdos. And Wagner, don't get me started on Wagner. The only way to endure this man's colossal ego (you want me to listen to how much of your turgid turdy music before we get to something I can hum?) is to buy a greatest hits CD.

Anyway, now that I've spent the weekend listening to Manitas and his brothers singing I'm going to change my opinion away from the blues and towards the arabic call to prayer. It sounds much more like that. Which makes sense really, given the history of the area.

You know, don't you, that whenever you talk about scales and keys I'm only pretending to understand what you're on about? This leads me to your next thread. Your next thread will be teaching John-Paul how to play the guitar properly (like Manitas or Sergovia) by explaining scales, the history of music and Richard's own personal musical history as we go along. Can you turn me from a useless Y13 student who just likes jamming but fails all his theory papers into a walking, talking "artist"?

I hate Liebert. He is an ass... I mean an arse. He has the arse of an ass.

You get the idea.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Can you turn me from a useless Y13 student who just likes jamming but fails all his theory papers into a walking, talking "artist"?"
Can I squeeze blood from a stone?
Music is not about scales and your piece about Manitas de Plata (is he named after a plate?) makes very good reading. What worries me, though, is why am I being so nice lately?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Come on 'day off boy'! Where's the next installment?

Richard (of RBB) said...

socialstudiesisforgirls

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ottmar Liebert is okay and plays with meaning.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Work does, in fact, make one free.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Manitas is a dick.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Long bluesy runs? Sounds like the inevitiable result of a bad stomach bug.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I can go home in five minutes.

JY said...

You're not going to provoke me with this drivel you know. We've come up with lots of good word finds for next year at our in service day. I'm very pleased with the one called "How to annoy the music teacher".

Richard (of RBB) said...

Your times (posting) need setting. It is really three minutes to three. I can go home in 3 minutes.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, man of errors, you asleep or summin'? Sup?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Robert's Pulpit has dad 237 profile views. You've had 53. I'll try to push it up for you.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Robert's Pulpit has dad 237 profile views. You've had 53. I'll try to push it up for you.

Richard (of RBB) said...

There! You're on 60 now!

Richard (of RBB) said...

There! You're on 60 now!