Passport - Education can be overrated

I got my passport in 1998.


I spent 1997 doing a Masters in English Literature. That's it to the right. It was called:



Theatrical Censorship in Tudor and Stuart England



and God it's a dull read.



"Greenblatt is eloquent in his description of the pluralism of theatrical practices and seems to suggest that the court is an equally complex site, full of a diversity that cannot be contained or expressed in the unitary vision of an ideal monarch." (Etcetera, etcetera.)


Site! Site? What's the matter with the word "place"? Unitary vision? Ugh. Writing like this is actually encouraged. I went into debt to learn how to write like this. Dreadful.




My superviser didn't even care enough to proof read the final draft and it got a pounding from the external marker.

I passed. Most people don't bother with all the effort of doing a Masters just to pass. So what do you do if you're over-educated, in debt and unemployable in 1998 in New Zealand?

You get someone to put one of these in your passport.

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes, and?

JY said...

Jesus, I just put this on the blog and you're already asking "and?". Go into the bathroom and switch on your Poop 'n' Sing.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I don't have one; for hygene reasons.

JY said...

Just leave it on all the time.

Richard (of RBB) said...

So, you're going to Japan? I think you did something about their fancy toilets before. Come to think of it, you seem to have quite a 'thing' about toilets. Did potty training go alright for you?

JY said...

Pretty good. How about you?