Give us a smile champ



The Raumati Hearts Soccer Club really splashed out on this cup: Best Under 14 Player, 1986.

Keeping things in perspective our team came bottom of the bottom league. I was a defender. I had a lot to do. Our biggest losing margin was 15-0. I am very stubborn when I play sport. Even when we were down 15-o I refused to give up. I was the only player on our team still moving. The other ten were sidling to the sidelines and pretending to be spectators. I single-handedly saved us the margin 20-0.

So what? I don't know. Who cares what some 13 year old did one Saturday morning in 1986 on some muddy, claggy field at Queen Elizabeth Park? Nobody. Except me. I care. I'm still proud of myself. Stuff all the jerks who laughed us off the ground, and tossed mud at us, and kicked us in the shins.

There's some larger metaphor in here somewhere. I'll leave you to decide if it is comic or tragic.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

The cup?
Don't worry. Remember - big car, small penis.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The cup?
Is there a cup in the photo?