Track Three - Club Tropicana

ONE
I have included this photo only because of the jersey. In 1986 in Kapiti this was cutting edge fashion (the shorts less so). I wanted to stand out. I had a friend that admired this jersey. He asked for the pattern. I got it from my grandmother. He gave it to his grandmother who promptly returned it. She refused to knit him the jersey because the model on the pattern packet was a woman. This jersey says many things but I don't think it says "GAY" particularly.

Mind you, it was a confusing time to be growing up for a young man. Most of the men in the bands that I admired had spent a lot of time on their hair and, perhaps more alarmingly, their make up.







TWO
There's no point in pretending I was cool or anything at school. I liked Wham! What's not to like? They wrote catchy songs that are still great to sing along to at parties.

Club Tropicana drinks are free...
All that's missing is the sea
But you can still sun tan

George Michael is a very good singer. One of those white British boys who love black r'n'b music. I love how he completely side-stepped everyone when he went solo and wrote a song so cool (Faith) that not even his biggest critics could whinge.


THREE
But if you grow up admiring bands and singers like this it can lead to decisions like the one on the right.
I can remember going to the hairdresser and getting this perm. It was on the second floor of Coastlands. Getting a perm takes a long time (not many guys know this), and is pretty expensive. You also have to do a lot of sitting around.
Funny thing is that when I walked around with this "do" on my head nobody mocked me (to my face), or laughed at me (to my face). Actually quite a few girls gave me compliments. I find this quite surprising. I'm pretty sure in stories like this one I'm supposed to get picked on.
Although I loved bands like Wham! and Duran and Duran I never wanted to be them. It was a different kind of thing I wanted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen jerseys like that before and can live with it. It's the "builders' shorts" that are the problem for me! Okay, I take your point, they work well with the short legs but please don't ever wear them to school!
The perm gives you a Todd Hunter (Dragon) look. I have natural curly hair and (in slightly younger years) have been plagued by people asking me if it was a perm. In the end I just gave up and said "yes". Why am I telling you this? Probably because it's Monday and I'm putting off getting ready for school.
R
ps. The legs don't look short to me, but there again, I'm not gay and have very little interest in your legs. Maybe you need to ask a gay guy.
Oh, and be careful with the 'pretty boy' bands - it's probably safer to stick with instrumental music.
R (of RBB)